Friday, May 04, 2007

So I have post partum depression

I went to my midwife at my 2 week check up and told her about it- I didn't know what to do. I didn't have any of the symptoms after the boys- But with Fiona it as been different. I have felt really overwhelmed and not very mothering at all- I am now taking Zoloft. Which I am not completely happy about but I know I needed help and it is helping. When I go back next week for my six week check up I am going to see when I can stop taking it. But I am glad I have it and glad I had the sense to get it-- Anyone read Brooke Shields' book? I will be buying it from Amazon for my trip to MD in MAY.

2 comments:

rubyiscoming said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, BFF!!!

Hope you, the boys and Fiona enjoy a nice relaxing Sunday...

We are headed down to TPC -

xxoo
Kim

Anonymous said...

Francie, i too suffered from post partum depression, especially after having Alexis. I didn't know at the time that's what was wrong with me and so i suffered through without getting help. You did the right thing by going to the doctor and getting on some meds, even if it's just for a temp. basis. I did read Brooke Shields's book a few years ago. The book helped me to understand that we are not alone going through these times of motherhood. One of the things i hated most to hear during my depression time was the comment of "just snap out of it" or "get over it already", thankfully a doctor was willing to listen to me and understand what i was going through, even though i tried to convince him as i had tried to convince myself that it was normal to feel as i did during those crazy moments of being a mother and wife. Even though i'm no longer on my meds, or as i liked to call them my "happy pills" i know they helped me to feel better and get me back on track with my life,so i could be the best mom i possible could to my kids. I would go back on them again, no questions asked if i ever felt like i did back then. I hope you are feeling more like yourself now. Remember no matter what your kids and family love you and are there for you always. Take good care of yourself.

love,
tina