Monday, October 16, 2006

ok SO I stole this from Kim who stole this from someone who stole it from someone

This is a fantastic meme that I borrowed from c., a blogger who's writing style I simply admire (pwp, so I can't provide link). I've always thought it would be quite an accomplishment to write a memoir, one about my immigrant family is on my life to-do list. It took me a while to answer these, perhaps I need to know more about myself and where I come from. Maybe I focus too much on the present and immediate future to reflect backwards. I hate having to retrace my steps, literally. If you have time to answer these, let me know in your comments. I pass this along to you, I'd love to hear what you are from.
I am from _______ (specific ordinary item), from _______ (product name) and _______.
I am from the _______ (home description... adjective, adjective, sensory detail).
I am from the _______ (plant, flower, natural item), the _______ (plant, flower, natural detail)
I am from _______ (family tradition) and _______ (family trait), from _______ (name of family member) and _______ (another family name) and _______ (family name).
I am from the _______ (description of family tendency) and _______ (another one).
From _______ (something you were told as a child) and _______ (another).
I am from (representation of religion, or lack of it). Further description.
I'm from _______ (place of birth and family ancestry), _______ (two food items representing your family).
From the _______ (specific family story about a specific person and detail), the _______ (another detail, and the _______ (another detail about another family member).
I am from _______ (location of family pictures, mementos, archives and several more lines indicating their worth).


I am going to think about my answers and post them later this week. This is should be good.

I could wait- Here is my response

I am from a bowl of spaghetti, from Lysol Spray and JC Penney.

I am from the all brick rancher that always had too many bedrooms and never enough people to fill them. With a basement that served as birthday party room, scout meeting room and playroom all within hours. On a street filled with friends and street lights that always seem to come on too early in the summer.

I am from an evergreen tree, the never ending idealist.

I am from talking too much and showing affection regardless, from Grandma and BaBa and Angela, Sam, & Andy and Chris, Gavin and Chandler.

I am from the lady who yelled the loudest at high school sports and the man who stood by the fence to give encouragement even if he didn’t have a kid playing.

From do what you think is best and either way, we will always love you.

I am from Catholic Parents. And believe in God and other people's right to their god who ever he or she may be.

I'm from Middletown MD, West Virginia, Ellis Island, Italy, the Czech Republic and some other places, pepperoni rolls and pigs in the blanket (made with cabbage leaves).

From the great grandmother who brought antique bedroom furniture from “the old country with her on the boat”, the grandfather who ran the best “store” in Morgantown, and the sister who I call “Mother Superior” but have learned so much.

I am from smiled filled photo albums of travel, vacations and family reunions on the coffee table, and hallways lined with framed photos of family with us and no longer.

2 comments:

rubyiscoming said...

Yup - i thought this was fun! :)

rubyiscoming said...

Beautiful darling friend - I got misty eyed! :)